How To Care For Your Bag
Your Cambridge Satchel bag is made from 100% natural cow leather which may feature wrinkles, markings and colour variations. This is all part of the beauty and charm of a cambridge satchel product - it is completely unique to you. Our hard wearing product will last if cared for in the correct way. We recommend that you take the following measures to get the most out of your bag:
- Wet sanitiser can cause irreparable damage to our products, discolouring or altering the surface finish of the leather. Please make sure to wait a few seconds until your hands are fully dry before touching the leather. Rest assured that once your hands are dry, there is no risk of damaging your product.
- Please avoid using your bag in heavy downpours. If the leather does get wet, wipe off any excess water and allow it to dry naturally. Following this we would recommend that you apply a leather protection cream to help repel water and nourish the leather. However, please remember to test any product on an unobtrusive section of your bag beforehand.
- Although leather is very durable, it is not indestructible. Exposure to extreme cold or heat and improper care or cleaning can crack and dry leather skin, as well as remove finishes and colours.
- If left in direct sunlight there is a chance the colour of your bag may fade.
- You may choose to care for your leather bag as with other leather products using an appropriate protector. Please remember to test any product on an unobtrusive section of your bag beforehand.
- Your bag will age over time; please don’t panic. This is normal as it is a natural product. Ordinary Vaseline works well on minor scuffs and abrasions to buff your bag.
- Please be aware that highly coloured dyes in the leather may transfer across to lighter clothing and vice-versa - we cannot accept responsibility when this occurs.
Special Care is recommended on the following products:
- Bridle Leather - Bridle leather is soft and supple, with natural variations that will add character with age. Due to the natural characteristics of this leather, some colour transfer may occur. Therefore care should be taken when wearing against light coloured clothing. Exposure to rain and prolonged exposure to sunlight should be avoided. It is recommended that a Water Stop spray is used for added protection.
- Blazer Leather - Blazer leather is soft and supple with natural variations and creasing that will wear and add character with age. It is recommended that a Water Stop spray is used for added protection.
- Metallic Care - Due to the delicate nature of metallic finishes, some surface finishing may be lost with time and abrasion. This cannot be re-applied. It is recommended that a suitable metallic protector is used for added protection.
Printed Leather - Due to the nature of the printed finish on some of our bags, some surface finishing may be lost with time and abrasion. The printed finish cannot be reapplied, so it is recommended that you use a suitable protection spray on your bag.
We would suggest you use the Carbon Pro or Carbon Pure Spray, as this will help to protect the print further.
We recommend the following care products from Collonil to assist in prolonging the life of your bag. These are all available to purchase in our shops.
The Collonil Delicate Cream
A perfect way to revive dull, tired-looking leather. When applied, the Collonil Delicate Cream gently gives your bag the beauty sleep it needs, cleaning, softening and restoring colour to the product. There’ll be no chance of cracks appearing with this cream.
As a British brand, we certainly know how to cope with rain. That’s why we recommend Collonil Carbon Pure Spray as a waterproofing spray that will keep your bag looking fantastic, even on those damp days. Innovative and proven carbon technology gives it long-lasting resistance against moisture and dirt. A versatile product usable on all materials, Collonil Carbon Pure Spray comes with a pump dispenser and is solvent and propellent free.
The Collonil Bamboo Lotion – 50ml
Bamboo is brilliant. The plant needs very little water, does not need pesticides or fertilizers to be grown and it can grow to its full size in three or four months, compared to standard trees which take over thirty years to grow. This makes it one of the most sustainable materials ever! Collonil Bamboo Lotion therefore allows you to take care of your bag in as eco-friendly a way as possible. Suitable for all leathers and suedes, the lotion removes dirt, provides moisture to smooth and coarse leather, stops the material from drying out and comes with a pump dispenser.
The Collonil Organic Protect and Care
As a British brand, we certainly know how to cope with rain. That’s why we recommend Collonil Organic Protect And Care as a waterproofing spray that will keep your bag looking fantastic, even on those damp days. This is an eco-friendly option - like our bags, the spray is largely made up of natural materials (90%!), including olive oil as the active ingredient to waterproof and soften. A versatile product usable on leather, nubuck, suede and textiles, Collonil Organic Protect And Care comes with a pump dispenser and is solvent and propellent free. A brilliant way to nourish the material while causing minimal harm to the environment.